


This weekend I got to go to the Chef's house. What an experience! On Friday night the Chef, Yoland, gave me and Stephen a ride to his home, just a twenty minute drive from the campus. When we arrived he wanted to serve us a meal. It was one of the best meals I have had since I have been here. We sat down at the table around 7 o'clock and didn't get up until midnight. It was the real French deal. The meal started with an appetizer of avacodo, tomato and tobasco type salsa (I'm sure they call it somethhing differen in France) with chips. It slowly progressed to a white fish, I think it was halibut, and potato. Everything had such good flavor, lots of herbs and perfect texture. After the main dish Yoland pulled out 'dessert de neige', a soft meringue with creme anglaise, (cream, sugar and egg yolks). It was very tasty, something I had never tried before. I think I am going to try and recreate dessert de neige, I know you would all enjoy it. And then the meal was finished with cafe et the. Quel Experience, c'etait magnifique!
Conversation was difficult, seeing as my french is very limited, but two heads are better than one! Despite the slow concersation, Yoland was patient and happy to have the company. Stephen brought the dictionary, it came in very handy, saved us from having to play scherades all night long. My fall-back phrase was 'C'est tres jolie'-which means 'its really pretty. I guess I said a few too many times because it got to be funny whenever I said it. Yoland had an interesting music collection. It was like French soft rock. It was a little bit strange, so strange sometimes I wanted to laugh at it, but I knew that was not the proper thing to do.
In the morning Yoland served petite dejouner, cafe, yogurt, toast and jam. Then we were off for a 'little hike.' His son and his girlfriend were also with us, they were funny.
He took us into this meadow that was surrounded with peaks. We climbed up one of the taller ones. When we got to the top we could see Mont Blanc and the Alpes, Itlay and Switzerland. It was impressive. Yoland pulled out juice, a bar of dark chocolate and the French equivalent of fig newtons. We enjoyed the top for a bit and then headed down and back up to another high point on the other side of the meadow. Then we made our way back to the trail head.
When we got back to Yoland's house he served us another meal. Pate, bread, really good pasta and sauce, more dessert de neige and coffee and tea, another long, enjoyable meal. Then we said our thank you's and goodbuys and were dropped off back at the campus.
Yoldand's son's girlfriend is a ski instructor. She invited us to go to her house to ski. She lives right close to a ski station and she said she would get us discount tickets and provide us with a place to stay...sounds like we've got some winter fun on the horizon. What an offer!
So I have taken in alot of French culture this weekend, and that's why I am here. What a fun weekend!
Commentaires
I aspire to be as good of a blogger as you.
You are amazing.
And I miss you.