
I had my first ski of the season this weekend and it just happened to be in the Alps. This wasn't a Ski Station kind of ski...it was a snowshoe up the mountain and ski down kind of ski! Talk about an amazing first ski.
When I got dinner on Friday night, the chef, Yoland stopped me in line and asked me if I had skiis. I was ashamed to tell him that I didn't have any here. I was thinking, "Why did I leave my skis at home???" Yoland continued to tell me that his son, Jonas, was going on a rodonee de ski tomorrow and that he wanted some people to go with. You betchya! I'm game! So, I didn't let the fact that I didn't have skiis, stop me. With some help, I managed to find some skiis, from Gabi, the guy's dean. Stephen was also invited, so early Saturday morning we headed off for some fun 'dans les montagnes'.
All we knew was that we were hiking up and skiing down. We didn't know what mountain, how long of a hike, how steep the terrain. On our way to Yoland's house we made a quick stop by the patisserie for a pain au chocolat. When we arrived at Yoland's house, he had made crepes for us. Let's just say I had a very fench breakfast: pain au chocolat and crepes. We packed in the snowshoes and all the skiis and boards and poles and we were off.
The pack I used was just my school backpack, but I made it work. I managed to put both of my ski boots, my warm gear, some food and water in there. I hooked my helmet to the outside, strapped my snowshoes on and headed up the moutain.
It was quite a hike up. Snowshoeing is a great workout. I think I might have slowed the boys down a little, but I was glad they were willing to hike slower with me. It was beautiful and clear, we had an amazing day for our first ski. When we arrived at our launching point, the wind picked up and it got really cold. I was vert thankful for every warm piece of clothing I was wearing. We were awkwardly pearched on the side of the mountain. If I had have dropped something, it wouldn't have stopped. So, it was kind of hard to get all my gear changed, the wind wasn't very helpful either.
The ski down was awesome! Some of the snow had a harder layer on top, but the majority was untouched powder! My legs were very tired from the climb up, but I pushed on and enjoyed my first ski of the season.
When we got back, Jonas put some pasta and turkey together, along with bread and pate. I was very content.
What a wonderful day!
Commentaires