Language Update


Having spent close to six months here, I am feeling fairly confident speaking French. I find that I understand just about everything being said but I find it much harder when I try to respond. I know the words to use but they usually come out a bit scrambled. It is rather difficult when that happens in conversation because once I open my mouth to speak and I scramble everything, then I forget what I was going to say. It's a vicious cycle. However, I have had several opportunities to have conversations all in French and I have been encouraged by them (for the most part).
It is sometimes frustrating because I feel like I should be speaking fluently by now. I guess I need to have patience:) On verra ca..
One day in the preschool Zoe asked me, "Why don't you speak very well?" With that one of her classmates blurted, "Elle est anglaise!" Obviously...
However, on the ski hill Friday one of the people I rode the chair up with thought I was Swiss! It is pretty exciting when the locals don't immediatly think you are American. I was encouraged and compliamented.

Commentaires