
My niece turned two on Earth day. However, she's convinced she's three. (I guess that whole 'wishing you were older' thing starts young.) Either way, her special day was celebrated well. Stacey planned an impressive butterfly themed party, complete with butterfly cups and intricately made chocolate butterfly ornamented cupcakes. The guests enjoyed Emily's favorite cuisine, which was spaghetti, broccoli and edemame beans. We sang loudly to the happy girl while she anxiously awaited her butterfly cupcake. The evening finished with a butterfly pinata (PIN-YATA). Between the other six children under three years of age, and all the adults, there was only one melt down (it involved a bubble-blowing lawn mower).


I had to laugh when Emily disappeared from her own party. Stacey wanted me to go check on her. So I went up stairs, only to find her quite content playing in her room. She quickly rose to her feet, began mumbling 'bean bag, bunny, blanket', propped me up on the chair, piled the necessities in my lap, chose a story book and said, "read, Sarah, read" (said in the accent of a precious two-year old girl). I guess there's no harm in escaping your birthday for a little bit. It's necessary to recharge. Once we had made our way through a few stories, then she was ready to go join the other kids downstairs. I guess she knew exactly what she needed. A little quiet time goes a long ways.
Commentaires