White noise? Think Again.

I'm an avid eavesdropper and people watcher, especially in coffee shops and randomly, airports. Lately though, I've spent a lot of time in various coffee shops throughout the Walla Walla Valley. (I'll have to save my airport people watching for when I travel, which will hopefully be soon).
I often sit for hours at a time, giving me the opportunity to see every person that comes in, who they come in with, what the occasion of their coffee break is and what they discuss/read or study while they are there. So far I've been able to witness the awkward first date and/or catch-up from high school. I call that the "middle aged date". New mom groups frequent the coffee shop in the morning, kids excitingly anticipating a treat of some sort. And then there's the mysterious business man who sits in the corner on his laptop, his eyes never leaving the screen. There's the usuals that come in who, when they open the door the barista says, "Want your usual?" and the usual nods in agreement. There's also the professor ladies who come by. They're usually there before I get there, reading the Newspaper and indulging in a buttery croissant, always by themselves. (There's two of them, but they never sit together??). I feel like I know the community. I see the faces, hear the hot topics of discussion, witness the regular routine of several downtown professor, workers and business owners. There's a sense of connection to the community that way. I like that.

Commentaires