First Flight

"You need to find something better to do..."
I never expected to hear that phrase my first day on the floors. I was helping a classmate with this one patient who was actually in transit to the psyche hospital. When I walked in the room he yelled loudly in my direction, "You need to find something better to do." Alright then, no nursing class can prepare you for that kind of patient interaction. I was more amused than worried; this patient was a little too far "over-the-hill". The irony is priceless though. Here I am, ready to serve, ready to give my all for the selfless profession of nursing and one of the first things I'm told by a patient is to "find something better to do".

Despite this unhappy man, I had several other clients who were so thankful for some attention from a student nurse. I learned that the smallest details sometimes make the biggest difference for a patient. A bath, clean linens, a sip of water...they are so grateful. While bathing a lady who was in deep pain, I noticed a very contented smile grace her face, her eyes closed and she appeared to be enjoying a small 'piece of heaven'. The smallest things can make the biggest differences.

I deemed it success when a client had become comfortable enough with me that their personality began to shine through. People are so entertaining. I couldn't help but laugh when one little, old lady brought my face close to hers and said, "I feel like I've been through asian voo-doo!" She had been writhing in pain and her oxygen saturation levels were low AND yet, she still had energy to crack a joke. We laughed together, and I was truly blessed.

In addition to all the patient care, I also got to see a few procedures this morning, one of which was a pic line insertion. A vascular specialist waltzed into the room and told us to suit up in sterile garb. She performed the procedure beautifully, teaching us all along the way. I was fascinated. 

I hesitate to say that I love nursing school, but that really explains my sentiments right now. I love nursing school. I'm enjoying everything I'm learning and I love the hands on aspect. When I went into the hospital this morning, I felt like I had so many questions and yet, I knew that no instructor would want to take the time to explain and answer my entire gob of questions. That would be a waste of time. The best way to understand and relieve my questioning brain was to go in head first and "sink or swim". And I loved every minute of it.

I go onto the floors again tomorrow morning. I get to interact with so many different types of people, laugh with them, care for them, talk with them and see their true personalities shine through the hum-drum of the hospital. I'm not sure what tomorrow morning will bring, but whatever it is, I'm excited and anticipating another morning chock-block full of new experiences.

Commentaires