Communication Block

Must. Learn. Spanish.

Communication is never easy, even when two people speak the same language, communication can be a trial.

I found myself seated next to an older woman who was recovering from a stroke. Her speech was not clear but we were trying to communicate nonetheless. It is said that 90% of communication is not verbal. So working with statistics in my favor, I tried to optimize that 90% non-verbal communication and talk with this woman.

It soon turned into a round of charades.

I was on my feet, throwing my arms, bending my knees, waving my hands and fingers in a desperate attempt to communicate.
She was doing the same, but she was seated, providing nods or head shakes to guide my moves. She would try to speak but her speech was very slow and slurred.

After about five minutes of this, I understood she wanted to shake my hand and she wanted me to meet her friends.

Unfortunately another communication block came into play at this moment: I realized that this lady actually spoke Spanish. So, like I do in any situation where Spanish is being spoken, I tried French. French usually comes to mind in any uneasy, nervous or difficult conversation. Subconsciously I must think that using French will make the conversation simpler; it, not surprisingly, does the opposite. But being the only other language I know, it's my only other verbal tool "on call" to attempt productive communication.

Another round of charades broke out. She wanted her friends and myself to shake hands. (And yes it took another round of charades to understand that.)

Our communication was slow, but we were able to harbor that 90% non verbal communication and get the point across.

I now, more than ever, have the desire to study Spanish. I must learn it. (I guess I should study sign language too.) I love the French language, but it unfortunately doesn't work like Spanish...obviously. Someday my brain will have a spot for both languages, I will make sure of that.

Commentaires

Paula a dit…
Spanish is much much easier to learn then French! Give it a go :)