Idahoan: Foreigner?

Yesterday I sat through a rather grueling eight hour orientation at the VA hospital. I signed so many papers and scratched out my social so many times I'm fearful my identity's been stolen and is currently half way around the world. Nonetheless, here I am, informed of the in's and out's (quite literally) of the VA Hospital. I've been finger-printed, questioned, pictured and have experienced the inconveniences and impracticalities of a government run operation. One instance stands out in particular...

I was waiting in a cubby hole of a space to be finger printed. My name was finally called. The operator lady asked me for two forms of identification. I presented her with my LLU school ID and my Idaho driver's license. She accepted the school ID and when she examined my Idaho ID, her eye brow furled and she said, "We need a California identifier, do you have any other form of identification?"

Me, "I have a passport, but it's at home."

Operator lady, "Oh yes, that would be better. They're not going to accept this ID. It's not from California...Is it a US passport?"

[Me, thinking...Seriously? Do you think I'm a foreigner? I'm from Idaho!]

Me, "But Idaho is part of the United States, isn't that valid identification?"

{Operator lady makes a few calls and discovers that yes, Idaho is actually part of the U.S. of A.}

Operator Lady, "Oh they will accept that."

...and the fingerprinting process continued.

Having already made an extra trip home to get all the correct paper work, I had to question this necessity. Do you really need a passport? You're accepting everyone else's driver's license...last time I looked, Idaho was still part of the United States of America.

Commentaires

Jenny a dit…
HAHAHA. Oh man, those Californians... :)