capAble.

Did you ever sing the song in sabbath school...

He's able, He's able, 
I know He's able, 
I know my Lord is able to carry me home.
[And the chorus repeats and there are verses etc...]

I always associated that song with Abel, as in Cane and Abel. So it never really made sense to me UNTIL one day when my brain had matured a few more cells and I realized that able does not just mean the Bible character. Being able to do something, being capable, is a blessing. So I guess that's why we were singing about it. Anyways, I was reminded of that this past weekend while participating in the PossAbilities Triathlon. I was challenged and equally impressed with the determination that many of the athletes expressed. All the racers were participating to benefit the good of people in need, either monetary or physical need. There were racers of all shapes and sizes, wheeling, running, jogging doing whatever they were able to do. I loved being a part of it. I loved hearing people cheering for other people, people that they didn't even know. I loved the crazy balloon man that was running and cycling and swimming just to cheer the people along. I loved seeing the overzealous racers in their fluorescent onesies, their knees boomeranging back with the pull of spandex. I loved seeing the kids. They were racing the 5K. There were so many of them; they were so little and yet so determined! It's always encouraging to see a community pull together for a good cause. It is even more encouraging to realize how able a community can be when everyone's energies are channeled the same direction. I guess being able really is worth singing about.

Commentaires

Jenny a dit…
Ha, that's funny because I think I always associated it with Abel too! Also, good work on your triathlon!! You are awesome Sarah!
thesaragon a dit…
Thanks jenny! also glad to know that I am not the only one who thought of Abel...:)