
I don't remember who started it (I think it was David, he and Clark often build enthusiasm without much encouragement), but my whole family (and I mean WHOLE family -- cousins, aunts, uncles, siblings, spouses and their in-laws) were all of the sudden singing the Canadian national anthem in a crowd of hundreds of people. I thought for a moment that I should quickly exit the family circle before being part of the performance. But it was too late, the crowd was already making room for us to perform before I had the opportunity to
pretend like I was a spectator. So we sang the Canadian national anthem loudly, people cheering us on, my mom proudly directing us, sporting a long white skirt with a red t-shirt and a matching plaid scarf loosely tied around her neck. It was like we had planned to burst into the canadian national anthem, but we really had done nothing of the sort.
It was my cousin's graduation from dental school and we were all excited to be together for such a joyous occasion. So where did the spontaneous show of canadian patriotism come from? Well, we are Canadians -- and I think that's all I need to say.


I guess I'm not officially canadian. (I think my mom had done enough paper work by the time she got to child number 6.) So I'll have to work on that myself. But whether it's on paper or not, I am canadian. It runs in my blood. I love the people, the many ethnicities represented, the mountains, the wide, expansive landscapes, the french influence and of course, the patriotism. While in Vancouver, my
mum and I talked with a girl who was visiting from Switzerland. After asking her why she came to Vancouver and why she keeps coming back, she replied, "I love that the Canadians are proud to be Canadian." If only she knew that above mentioned story of familial, canadian patriotism...
It's really true, we are proud to be Canadians, even if we have never lived there!

So mom and I traveled to Vancouver a week ago. We walked Stanley Park, navigated the streets of Vancouver, shopped on Robson street, enjoyed Kits and reveled in the pure satisfaction of being present in the Motherland. While the city was full of fast-paced fun and adventure, the real adventure was the day we spent in Whistler. Having heard multiple bed time stories about these wild mountains, I was excited to finally be experiencing the rugged coastal range myself. I will undoubtedly go back soon to hike, climb, camp, snowshoe and ski those mountains. They are truly inspirational, close to my heart and close to my home.
Oh Canada! our home and native land! true patriot love in all thy sons command...
Commentaires