A few weekends ago, the girls and I went to the pumpkin farm, searching for the perfect orange globe to grace our porches for the season. While admiring the extensive varieties gloriously displayed on rows and rows of endless tables, one of the farm hands began sharing tips on how he uses pumpkins. He told us which pumpkins are good for pie, soup, baking etc...then he said something to the effect of, "If you girls ever learn to cook..."It was like he had looked at us and assumed that we were flighty women, consumed with Cosmo and shopping malls.
I was slightly offended. I know how to cook sir. Thank you very much. And, (I was thinking but never said) I bet I could cook better than you! Generally I'm not very competitive, unless it involves something that I love to do or something I spend a lot of time doing. Baking and cooking is one of those things, so his incidental remark stirred my competitive spirit.
So, in response to the farm hand who told me I can't cook, I thought I'd share a recipe with you all. Just to prove him wrong (Ha!). It is very delicious. Plus, the spices used will marinate your kitchen for days; it smells incredible while in the oven and it tastes even better when it comes out.
The recipe is adapted from all recipes.com. I highly recommend it. You can put more sugar in it if you like things sweeter. I just couldn't stomach the thought of using three cups of white sugar (gulp.) So I cut it down and added some molasses to give it a non-sugary boost and a heartier dimension. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving and all the good times in preparation for the holidays. Enjoy friends!
1 can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup of oil
2/3 cup of water
11/2 cups of white sugar
2/3 cup molasses
31/2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking soda
11/2 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp of cinnamon
another heaping tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
Mix the wet ingredients (including the sugar), then the dry ingredients, then mix them together, alternating wet and dry. Add dates, jumbo raisins or walnuts if you'd like. (I recommend adding dates, they add a sweet little surprise.) Divide batter between three greased loaf pans. Bake the bread at 350 for about an hour. Then share the pumpkin love with all your friends. Yum!
PS: The original recipe also calls for cloves. I don't really like cloves, so I didn't use them and the bread was deliciously spicy and flavorful. But if cloves are your thing, go wild!
I was slightly offended. I know how to cook sir. Thank you very much. And, (I was thinking but never said) I bet I could cook better than you! Generally I'm not very competitive, unless it involves something that I love to do or something I spend a lot of time doing. Baking and cooking is one of those things, so his incidental remark stirred my competitive spirit.
So, in response to the farm hand who told me I can't cook, I thought I'd share a recipe with you all. Just to prove him wrong (Ha!). It is very delicious. Plus, the spices used will marinate your kitchen for days; it smells incredible while in the oven and it tastes even better when it comes out.
The recipe is adapted from all recipes.com. I highly recommend it. You can put more sugar in it if you like things sweeter. I just couldn't stomach the thought of using three cups of white sugar (gulp.) So I cut it down and added some molasses to give it a non-sugary boost and a heartier dimension. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving and all the good times in preparation for the holidays. Enjoy friends!
1 can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup of oil
2/3 cup of water
11/2 cups of white sugar
2/3 cup molasses
31/2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking soda
11/2 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp of cinnamon
another heaping tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
Mix the wet ingredients (including the sugar), then the dry ingredients, then mix them together, alternating wet and dry. Add dates, jumbo raisins or walnuts if you'd like. (I recommend adding dates, they add a sweet little surprise.) Divide batter between three greased loaf pans. Bake the bread at 350 for about an hour. Then share the pumpkin love with all your friends. Yum!
PS: The original recipe also calls for cloves. I don't really like cloves, so I didn't use them and the bread was deliciously spicy and flavorful. But if cloves are your thing, go wild!



Commentaires