I spent a few hours on the MICU today, studying my assessment and busily trying to ready myself for the midterm practical I was about to perform. The patient I was working with was responding to command, but was still very sedated. I had been at the bedside for a while, zeroing A-lines, deciphering PA ports and lumens, checking ventilator settings and medication concentrations. Right before I started my exam, I was standing at the phlebostatic axis, running through PA catheter purposes etc...when I saw the patient's one eye close and his thumbs go up. I made eye contact with him, trying to decide if he was consciously closing one eye and putting his thumbs up. He did it again -- one eye shut, thumbs up. I think he was wishing me good luck -- thumbs up and a *wink*.
I'm not sure if he knew exactly what was going on. He liked having nursing students at the bedside though. He was simply too much, I had to get out of my narrowed, stressed out mind and have a laugh. My sedated patient winked and gave me a thumbs up!
All that to say, I passed my midterm. It's always nice to know you're patient's cheering you on.
Commentaires