Today I began an IV all. by. myself. Booyah.
As the residency continues, my preceptors start letting me do everything. Lights, camera, action -- they sit down and I get to work, asking questions as I go along. They have become more and more elusive. They tell me they are going to the restroom and thirty minutes later I wonder what's kept them so long. I think they know how to use the system there. But they should, because they have also worked hard to train us. So I guess they can do as they please.
So since this new found independence on the unit, I have had some awesome opportunities to get work done, all. by. myself. And quite frankly, I love it. Don't get me wrong, I love good company. But when I can just put my nose down and do work, life is good!
So today, I got to start an IV alone. My preceptor was gone (I think she went to the bathroom) and I went to work.
There's a lot of coordinating that is involved when you're starting an IV on a baby. Holding lights, flushes, needles, tape, arms, legs, cotton -- and coordinating all the supplies so that you can access them when needed -- it gets kind of confusing. Oh, and then there's the actually getting the vein part. Took my one try and bam! Flash back, flush, tape and done.
Something else that I loved about today...I got to provide parent education concerning a recently placed gastrostomy tube. Again, my preceptor was M.IA. and I knew that this momma needed some education about this new g-tube that had been placed not too long ago. So I had her help me prepare the feeding, and I was able to show her how to give a feeding through the g-tube. I so enjoyed explaining it to her, and showing her what to do and why it is done that way. I think I really enjoyed being able to help the mom understand what was going on with her baby and how she could be involved with his care. It was a rewarding day in many different ways.
Something else that I loved about today...I got to provide parent education concerning a recently placed gastrostomy tube. Again, my preceptor was M.IA. and I knew that this momma needed some education about this new g-tube that had been placed not too long ago. So I had her help me prepare the feeding, and I was able to show her how to give a feeding through the g-tube. I so enjoyed explaining it to her, and showing her what to do and why it is done that way. I think I really enjoyed being able to help the mom understand what was going on with her baby and how she could be involved with his care. It was a rewarding day in many different ways.
I actually feel like I am catching on to this new job!
Commentaires