A degree in french, really?

"Why would anyone want a degree in french?"says everyone when I tell them I have a degree in french. "Why (awkward stuttering pause) --- French?" as they throw up their hands in complete confusion and utter disgust.
My reply: Why NOT French?
Then they look at me and smile and nod, like my reply only halfway appeased their desire to know why I took the route I did.

All education is beneficial and learning another language will only better your profession, whether that's basket weaving or computer engineering. Devoting three years to studying French is likely the most impractical thing I have done in my career so far. However impractical, it's also been the most beneficial thing in so many ways. However, I didn't start this post to enlighten you all on the benefits of learning a language (and I'm struggling to keep on topic here, because the benefits are multifarious and nothing but GOOD and I could ramble on for pages about that).

Nonetheless, two degrees and six years later I'm still not done with my education. I've reached a false summit of sorts. Well, it's not completely false. I really will be (in June) an RN, BSN. However, there's still more to learn out there! And I have trouble quitting when I know I could go farther. Why not? It will only make me a better practitioner. So with one more graduation behind me, I'll set on to discover the worlds of MSN and FNP. Lord help me, I'm a sucker for punishment.

Commentaires