Headwaters found

Sawtooths, close to the headwaters of the River of No Return
On my way back to Cali, mom and I drove through SunValley. Since I am a native Idahoan (born and raised) and have NEVER been to Sun Valley, I thought it was about time. I'm a little too familiar with the ridge east of Sun Valley, aka the Salmon River Canyon and River of No Return Wilderness Area. That's where Whitewater Ranch is, the country and place my Dad fell in love with and that subsequently shaped our lives forever. So driving SR 93 south through Idaho felt strangely familiar and yet it was all new.

We were just an hour out of Ketchum and Sun Valley when we stumbled upon the head waters of the Salmon River, aka The River of No Return. It was a strange feeling being there, beautiful beyond words and breathtaking in the setting sun. However, there's more to this country than just rugged and pristine beauty. It runs deep in my being.

My dad bought property along the Salmon River. I think I was two or three at the time. Just a year later this property took his life. I grew up going down to the Ranch, swimming the Eddie, hiking the canyon, digging in the dirt, picking black berries and making pie, running from bears and snakes, getting lost in the woods and chasing chickens through the brush. This was the GOOD life. And yet, it came at a high price.

It's a strange feeling how landscapes and places can shape your world and loves and passions in life. Finding the headwaters of the River of No Return felt like I was coming full circle, this is where it all began. 


Commentaires