I always hope I'm on side 1, for side 1 looks out to the world; the world beyond babies and formula, labs and medications, monitors and charting. The setting sun marks the start of shift, reminding me that there's plenty of work to be done before I'll see its shining self again. I see people leaving work, some running into work, late, hot cup in hand. A myriad of white coats and blue professionals come and go, at all hours of the night. The street is busy at first but come midnight, headlights are a rare sight.
And on side 1 the mountains are seen to the north, reminding me that there's a huge world out there. They encourage me to take on bigger and better challenges, there at work and in the world at large. I always hope I'm on side 1.
And when I'm on side 2, all I see is building. A small courtyard is there and windows climb the walls of the hospital structure. Still I'm never inspired on side 2, not by the windows anyways. Usually my coworkers, through conversation and hard work, serve as my inspiration.
No matter what is outside the windows however, what's most important is what is right in front of me, at my fingertips, for twelve and half hours: babies who need a nurse. While the windows distract and bring promising light at 0545, I still have a job to do. The world outside will have to wait.
And on side 1 the mountains are seen to the north, reminding me that there's a huge world out there. They encourage me to take on bigger and better challenges, there at work and in the world at large. I always hope I'm on side 1.
And when I'm on side 2, all I see is building. A small courtyard is there and windows climb the walls of the hospital structure. Still I'm never inspired on side 2, not by the windows anyways. Usually my coworkers, through conversation and hard work, serve as my inspiration.
No matter what is outside the windows however, what's most important is what is right in front of me, at my fingertips, for twelve and half hours: babies who need a nurse. While the windows distract and bring promising light at 0545, I still have a job to do. The world outside will have to wait.
![]() |
| the view from side 1 Christmas Day 2012 |

Commentaires