Beauty in the littlest things

Just born, my niece Caroline
I'm just coming off of working my last 12 hour shift for the week. I'm groggy, trying to get myself motivated to do something productive for the next few hours, simply because I'd like to go to sleep tonight like normal people do.

I had a revelation this week, one that gave me incredible perspective on my work.

I got to admit twin girls. While I bathed one of them, I scrubbed her down and wrapped her up in a warm blanket and held her close while I used the other hand to change her bed. Here I was holding this three pound little being and I realized how lucky I am to be doing so.

While mom and dad and aunts and uncles eagerly wait outside in the waiting room, I have the luxury of holding their newest family member; I get to be there while the family waits outside. 

Now that's a privilege.

If you have ever welcomed a niece, nephew or your own child into this world, you know what I'm talking about. It's this eager anticipation to meet, hold and properly embrace this new being into the family fold. 

I also change diapers and endure long hours of teary babies, in addition to various other challenging and sometimes unexpected nursing related activities, but that's more towards the work end of the spectrum. Everytime I hold one of my patients, whether they're sleeping or making my shift a nightmare, its a privilege and a joy. Some might call it a job, I think it's more than that. 

Commentaires