I recently read a few pages in the October issue of Real Simple. One question that the editor challenged her readers with was, "How do you maintain balance in your lives?". It's a good question for thought and it apparently got me thinking about the daunting task of keeping balance in my life. I pray and read scripture. I do yoga every now and then. I don't meditate, or medicate. I do exercise though and I thought maybe that was my answer. While all of the above are acceptable answers, I finally settled on what I think keeps me balanced: humor.
I find the more serious I try to make life and the harder I try to squeeze deep philosophy and logic out of every arena of life, the more unsatisfied I am. I try to find purpose in work, in class, friends and family -- all of those things are good! However, the common thread that ties all of these parts of life together and keeps me balanced? Humor, laughter, a terrible corny joke, a bad pun -- whatever it is, if it makes me laugh, I'm feeling great and life is pleasant. I just can't take myself too seriously -- I'd be sad and disappointed all the time. There is a season for everything, and sometimes we have to weather the serious side of life. Nevertheless, when the seriousness is no longer necessary, life calls for laughter. Speaking of which, does anyone have a good joke?
My oldest brother introduced me to the parody I've linked below. These comedians do a perfect job of illustrating the more humorous side of life. Please don't be offended, these professionals liberally pour on the hyperbole in their performance.
Also, I have to include that Mumford and sons are incredible musicians. They've proved to be quite successful in the number of their devoted followers, one of whom is myself. Needless to say, I just think they could write a few more songs in the major key. It can be an emotional challenge to listen to an entire M&S album. I love the banjo, played with gusto and conviction. Their sound is the perfect mix of deep south home, timeless lyrics and progressive bluegrass. But I experience a catharsis, as if I've just witnessed the death of Agamemnon, every time I get through an album from start to finish. Don't get me wrong, M&S are clever, witty and well versed. They have an incredible sound and I love to listen to a song now and then.
So, I hate to use a skilled set of musicians as my example but their parody made me laugh. I laughed, we laughed and I showed it to more friends and they laughed too. And then I realized that humor keeps me balanced.
Life should be taken seriously, but in the meantime, laugh -- and laugh hard and long and find the humor. It's there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rId6PKlDXeU
I find the more serious I try to make life and the harder I try to squeeze deep philosophy and logic out of every arena of life, the more unsatisfied I am. I try to find purpose in work, in class, friends and family -- all of those things are good! However, the common thread that ties all of these parts of life together and keeps me balanced? Humor, laughter, a terrible corny joke, a bad pun -- whatever it is, if it makes me laugh, I'm feeling great and life is pleasant. I just can't take myself too seriously -- I'd be sad and disappointed all the time. There is a season for everything, and sometimes we have to weather the serious side of life. Nevertheless, when the seriousness is no longer necessary, life calls for laughter. Speaking of which, does anyone have a good joke?
My oldest brother introduced me to the parody I've linked below. These comedians do a perfect job of illustrating the more humorous side of life. Please don't be offended, these professionals liberally pour on the hyperbole in their performance.
Also, I have to include that Mumford and sons are incredible musicians. They've proved to be quite successful in the number of their devoted followers, one of whom is myself. Needless to say, I just think they could write a few more songs in the major key. It can be an emotional challenge to listen to an entire M&S album. I love the banjo, played with gusto and conviction. Their sound is the perfect mix of deep south home, timeless lyrics and progressive bluegrass. But I experience a catharsis, as if I've just witnessed the death of Agamemnon, every time I get through an album from start to finish. Don't get me wrong, M&S are clever, witty and well versed. They have an incredible sound and I love to listen to a song now and then.
So, I hate to use a skilled set of musicians as my example but their parody made me laugh. I laughed, we laughed and I showed it to more friends and they laughed too. And then I realized that humor keeps me balanced.
Life should be taken seriously, but in the meantime, laugh -- and laugh hard and long and find the humor. It's there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rId6PKlDXeU
Commentaires