My first memory of Valentine’s Day took place in fourth grade. The class was having one of those grade-school Valentine’s Day parties, where each child decorates a cereal box with red construction paper hearts and lacy paper doilies in the hopes of receiving a valentine from the week’s crush (which they most assuredly would because every classmate was required to bring valentines for each and every other classmate). I remember going to great lengths to ensure a beautifully embellished cheerios box. After completing my magnum opus, I noticed one of my classmate’s boxes. He had taped a piece of white paper on a cereal box and written in crummy fourth grade penmanship “V-day: like D-Day but worse’.
And for some reason THAT stuck with me. Not the candy hearts or the veggie-tales "you’re cool, cool as a cucumber" note but THAT -- my classmate’s open resistance to candy hearts and red balloons, or so I thought as my nine-year-old self.
I didn’t think much of it at the time, other than ‘what’s D-day?’. And now, several years later and multiple Valentine’s days under my belt, I get it. He was really advanced for his age.
Funny the things your mind sticks on to and tucks away for later. I could have remembered so many other things about that day back in 1990 something. But no, my first experience with Valentine resistance is what my mind chose to hang on to.
Valentine’s day has taken many different shapes and sizes throughout the years. At home it involved heart shaped pancakes and notes from my mother. In college it involved convincing the boys in the friend group to join the girls in a semi-romantic-formal dinner party. We played group games in formal dresses and drank martinellis. I think we even hung sheer panels across the ceiling and sprinkled fake rose petals on the carpet. It was very special. And in France I received a surprise orchid from an awesome guy. It bloomed for four months straight, a sure highlight among valentines days so far.
And today as an adult, not in college and not living at home or in France, it involves plenty of cheesy text messages and snap chats from friends across the country, phone calls from home, sweet nothings from friends, dinner with girlfriends and coffee with the sister. I don’t think D-Day is the appropriate title for the day. Despite the resistance to candy hearts and red balloons, there are plenty of good things and people to celebrate on Valentines day. No need to suit up for war.
Oh, and if you’re looking for a catchy tune, listen/watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GBT37_yyzY
I apologize for the edginess of this video but the music is too good. I love Ingrid and I think she loved putting this together. It’s catchy, off the grid and definitely an original. I hope you can appreciate it as much as I did.
And for some reason THAT stuck with me. Not the candy hearts or the veggie-tales "you’re cool, cool as a cucumber" note but THAT -- my classmate’s open resistance to candy hearts and red balloons, or so I thought as my nine-year-old self.
I didn’t think much of it at the time, other than ‘what’s D-day?’. And now, several years later and multiple Valentine’s days under my belt, I get it. He was really advanced for his age.
Funny the things your mind sticks on to and tucks away for later. I could have remembered so many other things about that day back in 1990 something. But no, my first experience with Valentine resistance is what my mind chose to hang on to.
Valentine’s day has taken many different shapes and sizes throughout the years. At home it involved heart shaped pancakes and notes from my mother. In college it involved convincing the boys in the friend group to join the girls in a semi-romantic-formal dinner party. We played group games in formal dresses and drank martinellis. I think we even hung sheer panels across the ceiling and sprinkled fake rose petals on the carpet. It was very special. And in France I received a surprise orchid from an awesome guy. It bloomed for four months straight, a sure highlight among valentines days so far.
And today as an adult, not in college and not living at home or in France, it involves plenty of cheesy text messages and snap chats from friends across the country, phone calls from home, sweet nothings from friends, dinner with girlfriends and coffee with the sister. I don’t think D-Day is the appropriate title for the day. Despite the resistance to candy hearts and red balloons, there are plenty of good things and people to celebrate on Valentines day. No need to suit up for war.
Oh, and if you’re looking for a catchy tune, listen/watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GBT37_yyzY
I apologize for the edginess of this video but the music is too good. I love Ingrid and I think she loved putting this together. It’s catchy, off the grid and definitely an original. I hope you can appreciate it as much as I did.
Commentaires