This is nursing

and sometimes I wonder why I chose the profession.

Organized chaos. I have been on an adult trauma/surgical critical care unit for three weeks now. Organized chaos is the best way I can describe it. In addition to fundamental tasks and ordinary unit routines, these patients are changing every minute, which hardly leaves time to get the basics done (and for me, learned. How am I supposed to learn this when my patient's status is always changing?).

It’s a challenge, and I’m glad I’ve taken it on. I’ve just barely started up the mountain however, and I’ve got a lot more elevation to gain.

Some things I like about working with adults:


  • They can tell you what they need (when their condition allows). 
  • You can interact with them, some are funny, some are dramatic but I enjoy that aspect.
  • They can handle a lot, whether it’s medications, fluids or anything else -- they’re tougher. 


So here it begins, my life as an adult critical nurse.

Commentaires